As Joan Rivers might ask, "Can we talk?" Well, can we? We can, in fact, in many ways! We use several ways to communicate with each other. Often we speak through the written word. Other times, people can understand what we're trying to let them know by reading our facial expression or gestures. Sometimes it's the things we do that say something about us, or as some folks are fond of saying (if you'll allow me to paraphrase), "Our actions are speaking more loudly than our words." There are even times when our silence speaks volumes. Most frequently, however, our preferred method of communication is through our speech. As a result, we find ourselves saying many of the same things repeatedly, little catch phrases or quips. Often we simply speak platitudes and cliches.
One of those cliches we regularly find ourselves saying is, "I'm sorry." Most of us were taught to say it when we had done or said the wrong thing. Sometimes we say it when we have failed to do or say something. Most of the time it is appreciated, but sometimes, we've said the words so often, they have no value to the one receiving them.
I remember once overhearing a conversation between a mother and her teenage son, after the boy had done something deceitful and was caught in his indiscretion. "I'm sorry, Mom," the boy said. To which his mother replied, "I've heard you say "I'm sorry" too many times, while you keep on doing the same things. I'm very disappointed to have to tell you that 'sorry' just isn't enough anymore!"
Can we learn something from the startling reality of this poignant story about a frustrated mother and her naughty son? Perhaps so. This story can help us face that sometimes our apologies just aren't enough. Perhaps, on occasion, we find that we need to do more than speak what seem to be empty words. So, in the noted words of the masses, "What, then, shall we do?"
Repentance, an unpopular expression nowadays, can have a very basic, practical meaning. It means, by simplest definition, to change. When "sorry" isn't enough, instead of growing angry or bewildered, we could change our actions and attitudes. We could do something new and different with our lives. I think we might be pleasantly surprised to find how much more seriously we are taken when we find ourselves in the position of needing to render a word of apology. The question that confronts us all is, "How will I face the challenge when 'sorry' just isn't enough?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment